RSS

Goodbye Doug Taylor

09 Aug

Followers of Historic Toronto

If you have noticed a decrease in output on this site, there is a reason and that reason is very sad.  Doug Taylor passed away on Monday July 27th in his 82nd year after a courageous battle with cancer.  His obituary in the yesterday’s Toronto Star can be found here: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thestar/obituary.aspx?n=john-douglas-taylor&pid=196609571

As his friend and executor, I promised to find a permanent home for his ~1000 posts, where all his research and anecdotes could be retrieved and recycled by future researchers.  I am in the process of connecting with such sites and will inform everyone via this route when arrangements have been made.

In the meantime, I will keep his email address tayloronhistory@gmail.com active to facilitate this transfer and to keep his friends advised of any post-Covid celebration of life. I will also approve comments that look appropriate to me but won’t be giving feedback as Doug would always do.

My condolences to those of you who knew Doug well.  I know we will all miss his entertaining blogs.

Valerie Eggertson, neighbour and friend

10 Comments

Posted by on August 9, 2020 in Toronto

10 responses to “Goodbye Doug Taylor

1. Kay McGinnis

August 9, 2020 at 2:50 pm

Many condolences to Doug Taylor’s partner, family and friends. His death is a loss to the city. I have learned so much from this blog and am so grateful for Doug Taylor’s wonderful work. How good it is to know that you are working on keeping his amazing and invaluable archive of posts available. Thank you, and please let me know if this initiative needs support in the future.

2. Gerry Tsuji

August 9, 2020 at 3:06 pm

So sorry to hear this news about Mr. Taylor. I hope he knew how much his entertaining and informative posts were eagerly anticipated by many of us. RIP Mr. Taylor.

Thanks to the executor for ensuring that Mr. Taylor’s work will find a new home.

3. NocturnalTwins

August 9, 2020 at 3:35 pm

My condolences to his family and friends. I’ve always enjoyed reading his blog and learning more about Toronto’s history.

4. Andrew Mead

August 9, 2020 at 9:44 pm

I didn’t/know him well at all but I think he has an admirable public legacy remaining in his writing. I offer my condolences and I wish the executor of his estate success in achieving the goals he has set forth.

5. Sashine B.

August 10, 2020 at 9:27 am

I’m very sorry to read of Doug’s passing. I looked forward to reading his very interesting and informative postings about Toronto. If ever I had a question about details in one of his articles, Doug was very good about supplying information. Thank you for letting us know, Valerie, and for keeping Doug’s work online. May Doug rest in peace.

6. thetorzorean

August 10, 2020 at 11:21 am

Doug Taylor leaves behind a great gift to the city of Toronto and to all those who care for its past. I praise the executor for making sure that his legacy will not be forgotten.

7. Susan Hammond

August 12, 2020 at 5:03 pm

I’m just starting a journey of research into my street in Trinity Bellwoods and was excited to find this site. I’m so sad that I came a little too late but his research will be wonderful to read.

8. Audrey Fox

August 13, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Dear Valerie,

Thank you for including me in this list. I am the former editor of “the York pioneer” and a couple of times used Doug’s articles in the journal. I think you once attended a launch with him.

I was so sorry to read your news.

Best wishes, Audrey

Sent from my iPhone

• Doug Taylor

August 15, 2020 at 12:07 pm

Audrey
      Indeed I did attend a launch with him once. The tayloronhistory.com site will exist as it does currently for the next 6 months (until the WordPress subscription expires). When final arrangements have been made, I will post where the material will reside after that.
      Valerie

9. Dave Phillips

September 25, 2020 at 2:37 am

I am very sorry to learn that Doug has passed on. His Blog is a wonderful source of information and brings back many memories of times past. He was an educators educator! My sympathies and deepest respect. Dave