The New Fort, known as the Stanley Barracks, were built by in 1841 to house the troops that were stationed in Toronto. This was deemed necessary as in 1837 there had been a rebellion against the Crown. They were a group of rather undistinguished building, grouped around a large parade ground. They were located on the site of today’s CNE. All of the building have been demolished except for the one that served as the garrison’s hospital.
The photos in this post are from a book that the City of Toronto published in 1912 entitled “Toronto – Canada’s Queen City.” It was printed by the Industrial Publishing Company at 3 Jordan Street. Although the book extolls the virtues, accomplishments and facilities of the city, nowhere do the names of the mayor and the city councillors appear. I doubt that this would happen today. The book provides an excellent snap-shot of Toronto as it appeared twelve years into the 20th century. This post includes the pictures of the building that today is referred to as the Old City Hall, which in 1912 was in its twelfth year as the centre of civic life.
Military revue at Stanley Barracks on the site of today’s CNE grounds.
Stanley Barracks in 1912
Fort York, 1912
Parade grounds at Stanley Barracks
Stanley Barracks, 1912
For a link to a previous post containing street photos from the City of Toronto book of 1912
A link to a previous post containing photos from the 1912 book about Toronto’s Old City Hall at Bay and Queen Streets
Link to Home Page : https://tayloronhistory.wordpress.com/
To view other posts about Toronto’s past and its historic buildings:
Military hero of the War of 1812 lived near corner of Spadina and Queen West.
Photos of the surroundings of the CN Tower and and the St. Lawrence Market in 1977
The old Dominion Bank Building at King and Yonge Street
The Canada Life Building on University and Queen Street West.
Campbell House at the corner of Queen Street West and University Avenue
A study of Osgoode Hall
Toronto’s first City Hall, now a part of the St. Lawrence Market
The St. Lawrence Hall on King Street
Toronto’s streetcars through the past decades
History of Trinity Bellwoods Park
A history of Toronto’s famous ferry boats to the Toronto Islands
Toronto’s Old City Hall at Bay and Queen Streets
To view the Home Page for this blog: https://tayloronhistory.wordpress.com/